Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Servings: about 12 brownies
For the brownie:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus an additional 2 tablespoons
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 ounce (1/4 of a 4 ounce baking bar) unsweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
For the caramel topping:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
3 tablespoons water
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups walnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
For the garnish:
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. For the brownies: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare a 9×9-inch square pan by buttering it and lightly flouring the surfaces.
3. In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the chocolate chips, unsweetened chocolate, and butter.
4. Stir the mixture until smooth, and then remove from the heat.
5. While the chocolate mixture cools, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
6. Add the brown sugar and vanilla to the chocolate mixture, mixing well.
7. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. ***The batter should look thick and smooth.
8. Add the flour mixture to the chocolate, and mix until just combined.
9. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan and bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Let cool.
10. For the caramel topping: In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water, and a pinch of salt and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
11. Bring the mixture to a boil and let boil without stirring until the color turns a light amber, about 10 minutes or so.
12. Remove the saucepan from the heat, and add the cream and vanilla, stirring until thick and smooth. **Be careful, it will bubble and splatter.
13. Pour the caramel evenly over the brownies.
14. Sprinkle the toasted walnuts on top of the caramel, and let the brownies cool completely. **I stuck mine in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
15. For the garnish: In a small bowl, microwave the chocolate chips at 10-second increments, stirring after each interval, until smooth.
16. Cut a very small piece off a corner of a plastic sandwich baggie, and spoon the chocolate into the bag. **Or use a pastry piping tip.
17. Use the open end to quickly drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the brownies. Let cool.